Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Guardian Portable Gasoline Generators

Guardian Portable Gasoline Generators Questions, Answers, and Information About Gasoline Powered Portable Guardian Generators

Old February 7th, 2010   #1
pgilley

Default Idle control system / portable generators

This is my first post. Hope question is not off topic. I bought a portable generator with a Briggs & Stratton engine and I think a Generac generator. Unit model # 030207. Used unit one time, worked fine. Attempted to use it again a few days later . Engine starts and runs fine. When load is applied engine speed will not increase. Unit is making power but without increase in engine speed not enough. 90 to 95 volts on 120 side, less than 180 on 240 side no load less when light load is applied. Unit has auto idle control switch but regardless of switch position engine speed does not change.
Contacted place of purchase and was told that could not return unit once it had been fueled and oil added. Contacted two "authorized Briggs dealers". One said they don't work on electrical parts only engines. No reply yet from second dealer.
Contacted Briggs Customer Service and was told to take it to authorized dealer. How? Had an electrician check unit and he thinks the idle control board is defective. I tried to get Briggs Customer Service to supply a board and I would pay electrician to install it. Briggs would not supply board.
Sorry for the long post but does anyone have an idea as to problem with this unit?
Any ideas as to checking the circuits to determine exact problem?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
pgilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010   #2
hoghead

were are u located
hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010   #3
pgilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
were are u located
Southwest Virginia. 60 miles northwest of Bristol, VA. near Kentucky state line. Pretty rural area. Coal mining country.
Old February 15th, 2010   #4
pgilley

Default Anyone with any ideas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilley View Post
This is my first post. Hope question is not off topic. I bought a portable generator with a Briggs & Stratton engine and I think a Generac generator. Unit model # 030207. Used unit one time, worked fine. Attempted to use it again a few days later . Engine starts and runs fine. When load is applied engine speed will not increase. Unit is making power but without increase in engine speed not enough. 90 to 95 volts on 120 side, less than 180 on 240 side no load less when light load is applied. Unit has auto idle control switch but regardless of switch position engine speed does not change.
Contacted place of purchase and was told that could not return unit once it had been fueled and oil added. Contacted two "authorized Briggs dealers". One said they don't work on electrical parts only engines. No reply yet from second dealer.
Contacted Briggs Customer Service and was told to take it to authorized dealer. How? Had an electrician check unit and he thinks the idle control board is defective. I tried to get Briggs Customer Service to supply a board and I would pay electrician to install it. Briggs would not supply board.
Sorry for the long post but does anyone have an idea as to problem with this unit?
Any ideas as to checking the circuits to determine exact problem?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Seems no one has an answer to my question. Surely someone has a method to check idle control on a Generac portable generator. I get no response from dealers in this area and Briggs & Stratton promised a response over a week ago. Have not had a reply from them either. I am sure some of the Generac technicians on this site should know how to determine if the control board or stepper motor is defective. This unit is 12,500 watt surge and 10,000 watt run.

Last edited by pgilley; February 15th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: More info.
Old February 15th, 2010   #5
yucan2

Quote:
Seems no one has an answer to my question. Surely someone has a method to check idle control on a Generac portable generator. I get no response from dealers in this area and Briggs & Stratton promised a response over a week ago. Have not had a reply from them either. I am sure some of the Generac technicians on this site should know how to determine if the control board or stepper motor is defective. This unit is 12,500 watt surge and 10,000 watt run.
If it is in fact a Generac unit the attached may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf troubleshooting portable idle control.pdf (373.9 KB, 1852 views)
Old February 17th, 2010   #6
pgilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucan2 View Post
Many thanks for the info. The generator is Generac. Worked through the tests and determined that board was defective. Have not been able to get any help from Briggs or from the company where I purchased the unit. That is one problem with buying from an internet site. I ordered an idle control board at my expense because I need the generator now, not 2 or 3 months from now. Installed the board and unit works perfectly. Again, many thanks for the help.

Paul
Old February 17th, 2010   #7
yucan2

Quote:
Many thanks for the info. The generator is Generac. Worked through the tests and determined that board was defective. Have not been able to get any help from Briggs or from the company where I purchased the unit. That is one problem with buying from an internet site. I ordered an idle control board at my expense because I need the generator now, not 2 or 3 months from now. Installed the board and unit works perfectly. Again, many thanks for the help.

Paul
You're welcome Paul. Glad it worked out.
Old February 26th, 2014   #8
GONZALEZJLS

Smile GP15000E troubleshooting portable idle control

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucan2 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for allowing me to be part of the forum . I am new to this and it is the first time I do. Excuse my English but I am using the google translator , I am from Barinas , Venezuela . I GP15000E GENERAC generator model 5616952 serial number 57340 . My first query is to see if anyone has a full archive of " idle control.pdf portable troubleshooting " the friend YUCAN2 it easy to PGILLEY , this guide has helped me to several problems that I have with my generator, but I need to give more evidence . I give details of the problem :
1 - . Upon generator is accelerated while turning the machine seems will explode, the stepper motor that controls the fuel admission valve seems not in the minimum starting the engine.
. 2 - The few times and within seconds you have on so accelerated , then does not go off , I have to disconnect the connector PCB ELECTRONIC SHUTDOWN GOVERNOR7ENGINE A.S19 REV.A 0G4097 - K0931 .
3 - . Suspect the governor was hurt , but I would like to idle control.pdf portable testing and troubleshooting test to rule and thus replace the truly damaged.
. 4 - I fear that the voltage regulator is also damaged.
5 - . Would like to know which is a small swicth two levers that brings the governor ?
. 6 - The last time you turned fast , six seconds after smoke started coming out the exhaust pipe , as if passing oil, would be so fast or is that also suffered engine ?
Thanks in advance for the advice they can give me , I want my generator is a workhorse .
GONZALEZJLS is offline   Reply With Quote