Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old March 19th, 2013   #1
ebleas

Default Under Voltage error and shutdown

Hello -

Currently own the Generac Guardian 17 kW model running off NG. Unit has run the self test with no problems for last 16 months. Last week it would start, run for about 2 seconds, then shut down with error "Under Voltage". Same error occurs when trying to start in Manual mode. Red warning light is on now. Tried replacing battery, but same issue occurs. Called dealer, and they will not be able to get to our house for a few days. Was wondering if there was anything I could try on my own until they get here, just to keep it functional.

Thanks,
Bud
ebleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013   #2
d11gnccer

Model and serial number?
Does this have the Nexus control? I think the Nexus was the first residential control to fault for undervoltage. Does it sound like it fires up just briefly then shuts down? Could be brushes if it is a 2010 or newer unit. If it is warranty chances are you'l just want to wait on the dealer. Under voltage faults plagued more than a few units. Your dealer should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly.
d11gnccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013   #3
ebleas

Default Nexus controller

Hi -

Thanks for the quick response. The model number is 5885, and it does use the Nexus controller board. Sorry, don't have the serial number with me here. We had it installed in 2011, and it was ordered in the early 2011 time frame, so I would guess it may be a 2010 model you describe. It will start up, run for about 1 to 2 seconds, then shut down with the "under voltage" error message.

Bud
Old March 20th, 2013   #4
Peddler

If it is actually not making AC then it may be brushes not making good contact with the slip rings. If it makes AC then it probably is a software problem with the Nexis control panel. The early versions had some trouble with that area. If it is under warranty I would definatly wait for a qualified service tech to look at the unit. Good Luck, Peddler
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013   #5
ebleas

Default It was the brushes

Finally got the people here today who installed it (3 weeks later ! ). They said the brushes were bad and had to replace them. The unit only had 50 hours on it! Hopefully the brushes they put on are better than the original ones!

Bud

Last edited by ebleas : April 7th, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 7th, 2013   #6
Peddler

There was nothing wrong with the brushes themselves it was that there were a bunch of units that needed the brushes shimmed out. If your Generac guys don't put in a lot of units then they may not have been aware of this problem. There was a bulletin put out on it. If they needed to be shimmed and weren't then the problem will return. Good Luck, Peddler
Old April 10th, 2013   #7
ebleas

Default Lone Oak Electric

The generator was installed by Lone Oak Electric. They do quite a few installs in my area. When I called them, they seemed to immediately know what the problem was based on what I described to them. They did not give me alot of details when they called to tell me it was fixed, just "bad brushes" was all they mentioned when I asked what the problem was. Researching the error reveals this has been a common problem with this brand / model. Anyone know if it was limited to a certain serial number range or year? Can I expect this to last longer than the original (which gave out at 51 hours)? Can I monitor the condition of the brushes in any way to give me a heads-up they are beginning to fail, or does it just give out all at once?

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2013   #8
Peddler

If they shimmed the brushes for proper alignment your problem is solved, if not it will re occur. Peddler