Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Installation Talk

Installation Talk Questions/Concerns and help involving the installation of a Guardian Automatic Generator

Old January 2nd, 2012   #1
voltage-drop

Question Exercise time

Hi

I have an R200c controller in conjunction with a QT035 generator.

Is there a way to extend the normal exercise mode from the built in 12 minute timer to at least 30 minutes ?

The timer work fine, except, 12 minutes is not enough time to warm up the engine and get ride of any condensation. The result has been "milky oil" and fill cap at the oil checks and changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

hanks
voltage-drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012   #2
HKFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltage-drop View Post
Hi

I have an R200c controller in conjunction with a QT035 generator.

Is there a way to extend the normal exercise mode from the built in 12 minute timer to at least 30 minutes ?

The timer work fine, except, 12 minutes is not enough time to warm up the engine and get ride of any condensation. The result has been "milky oil" and fill cap at the oil checks and changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

hanks
First off, Welcome to the forum.

You could always just run it in manual mode to achieve the desired run time. Some more knowledgeable guys will be able to tell you if the electronics can be changed.
Old January 2nd, 2012   #3
piper18

Hanks,

Do you have the engine set to high speed exercise? If you do then your only option is to do like HKfever suggested.

Bob
Old January 4th, 2012   #4
voltage-drop

Thanks for the suggestions, but, the generator belongs to a local city and is used to run the city hall and fire station.

Actually I do run it in manual mode during fire dept meetings or when ever I think of it. but it needs to be automatic.

Thanks again

Al
Old January 4th, 2012   #5
genme

If you can't extend the time, and if the unit is already running at full speed exercise, I wonder if you can help it get to operating temperature sooner (thus letting it run a longer portion of the 12 minutes at operating temperature.)

Perhaps a crankcase oil warmer and exercising in the afternoon (when it is typically warmer outside) would help.
0058750, 6199xxx
genme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012   #6
voltage-drop

Thanks genme,

Those are both good ideas.
I have the cold weather tank heater ( but not installed yet ) and if I would add a timer to a remote thermostat it could preheat the water before "exercise time". The unit exercises weelky on Monday mornings at 7am so that the city guys can hear it run and call me if it does not.

I know, to some folks, this all sounds like a lot of trouble to go to but when the power goes out--which it has-- it sure is nice to be able to get our fire trucks and ambulances out the doors and light and communications to work with.
Plan your work--and--work your plan.

Thanks
Al
Old January 5th, 2012   #7
SkipD

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltage-drop View Post
Thanks genme,

Those are both good ideas.
I have the cold weather tank heater ( but not installed yet ) and if I would add a timer to a remote thermostat it could preheat the water before "exercise time". The unit exercises weelky on Monday mornings at 7am so that the city guys can hear it run and call me if it does not.

I know, to some folks, this all sounds like a lot of trouble to go to but when the power goes out--which it has-- it sure is nice to be able to get our fire trucks and ambulances out the doors and light and communications to work with.
Plan your work--and--work your plan.

Thanks
Al
Al, there's another possibility for you to consider. It would require some slight re-wiring of the generator's controls, but the concept would be to have relays replacing the auto/off/manual switch that would be controlled by an external programmable timer. The timer could place the "switch" in manual mode for whatever time duration you wish and at whatever time you wish to run the test. You would not set the generator's controller to run a weekly test.

If your "programmable timer" was, in fact, a small programmable logic controller (PLC), you could very easily wire in a set of manual switches that emulate the generator's auto/off/manual switch and could over-ride the PLC's weekly test routine if desired.

If you'd like more detailed ideas, PM me and I can give you my phone number so we can chat about this.