Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old October 18th, 2007   #1
newguy

Default Watchdog generators?

Can anyone tell me anything about the Watchdog generators that are out there on the market?

I have seen a 15KW unit for $2999 with a transfer switch.

What's the story behind these guys?

Thanks!
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007   #2
Kelly Myers
Administrator

Those are generators that used to be guardian 4390's. They are now 3 years old, and have been sitting around for that long. They were sold to carrier, but carrier could not sell them, so they sold the whole lot to a reseller.

The reseller rebadged them "watchdogs"

The reseller is now selling them to other resellers.

They offered these to me for $1600.00 per generator, and I turned them down. They are struggling with them because of the issues that arise when engines sit for that long without running.
1-888-2-ZILLER
Kelly Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007   #3
newguy

Wow... sitting for 3 years huh?

Northern Tool is one of the places selling them.

If I may ask what are the issues with the engine sitting that long?
Old November 26th, 2007   #4
newguy

There are a bunch of them out there I have seen that are the model 0053830. (I got a photo of one of the model/serial tags)

Can you tell me any more about them? what kind of problems would exist for a motor sitting that long?
Old November 28th, 2007   #5
M Miller

An engine and stator that sits for a period of time can develop rust and corrosion on its internal parts from moisture. They could also develop corrosion on the wire terminals and circuit board. It is likely that these units have sat in non climate controlled warehouses and gone through many warm and cold cycles. I have several engines including a marine outboard and portable generator where the manufacturer recommends that oil be injected into the cylinders if it will sit for several months. This is one of the reasons the generators exercise every week to lubricate and dry out the engines. Personally I wouldn?t touch an engine that has sat for 3 years.
M Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007   #6
Jason

I saw one of these at Costco in Woodinville, WA this weekend. It was $2799 for a 15kW unit with a 12-circuit transfer panel. I believe Home Depot is selling them too.

Seems odd that if they are expecting these units to have trouble, why they would sell them and risk the hassle of returns and warranty calls?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007   #7
cosmicvoid

I think the hassle would be completely piled upon the user, who would have to un-install the unit and haul it back. Home Depot or Costco would just shrug and give a refund, and then try to sell it to someone else.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008   #8
psbrenna

Default Watchdog Units

Kelly,
If I had found your site first I would not have purchased my 15KW unit but I did not and I did.

I am getting a Overspeed Shutdown on initial setup. I the unit is New to me and I am working to get it up and running. The Mod# is 0053830, SN# 465***Z*. I am on a 100gl cyl until my 250 gl tank is set next week. The inlet is 3/8 and at 11wc.

Any suggestions as to the problen. I am getting the run around by the local Factory Service guys since it is not a Guardian unit. It is registered and under warranty.

Pat
psbrenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008   #9
TCINWV

Default Watchdog

I Installed A New Watchdog 2/2/08 For My Home. After Everything Was Hooked Up I Ran It About 2 Hours With A Medium Load From The House, Checking Voltage And Such. Everything Appeared To Operate Fine. After A Rain And Wind Storm Yesterday Evening I Returned Home To Find My Rural Neighborhood In Darkness. I Operated Off Generator For About 10 Hours. Only Thing I Noticed Was After Shutdown I Checked Oil Level, It Had Dropped About 1/8 Inch Below Full Mark. Otherwise Perfect Performance.
TCINWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008   #10
Kelly Myers
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbrenna View Post
Kelly,
If I had found your site first I would not have purchased my 15KW unit but I did not and I did.

I am getting a Overspeed Shutdown on initial setup. I the unit is New to me and I am working to get it up and running. The Mod# is 0053830, SN# 465****. I am on a 100gl cyl until my 250 gl tank is set next week. The inlet is 3/8 and at 11wc.

Any suggestions as to the problen. I am getting the run around by the local Factory Service guys since it is not a Guardian unit. It is registered and under warranty.

Pat
Hi! I removed your serial number from the public eye, as this is an important number for only you to have

Overspeed shutdown?

Do you have a digital voltmeter capable of voltage and hz?

Do this test for me:

1. Open the splice box that is probably mounted to your house.
2. Take off the protective cover exposing the terminal strip
3. Put a meter capable of HZ from red/black
4. While holding the meter on red/black, have somebody turn on the generator. Report back with the frequency (hz)

If you do not have a meter capable of HZ, do the same steps with a voltage meter capable of measuring up to 300 volts.

Report back!
1-888-2-ZILLER
Kelly Myers is offline   Reply With Quote