Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old November 5th, 2011   #1
Sanford

Default Oil type question

I have read and seen some many things about oil I am not completly confused. I will in St Louis MO. We have temps from 0 in the winter and 100 in the summer. I know I shoud use synthetic oil, but I am unsure of the weight. Should I used 5w 30? Or 0w 30? What is the best for all around yearly use. I will only be changing the old once per year so I want something that can work all year round.

Thanks
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011   #2
SkipD

5W30 would be more than adequate for your area. That's what we use up in cold country (as low as -25F in the winter) year-round in our generators, our cars, and all other four-cycle internal combustion engines such as the garden tractor (which I plow snow with), etc.
Old November 5th, 2011   #3
MacMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
5W30 would be more than adequate for your area......
Agreed.
Old November 7th, 2011   #4
techntrek

Another "yes" here for the 5W30. We have the same temperature range (0-100) with an occasional -10 F and that is what I use based on my manual. It is also what I use in my vehicles and garden tractor.
Old November 7th, 2011   #5
Astro

What oil are they shipping in the 5800 series generators. Mine says no break-in needed but will change oil around 20 hours or so.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011   #6
genme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
What oil are they shipping in the 5800 series generators. Mine says no break-in needed but will change oil around 20 hours or so.
You may want to do some searches here regarding breaking in an engine (loading the generator vs no load.)

Our manual specified an oil change at 8 hours. A Generac customer service person told me that our 5875 was shipped with straight 30 weight that is used for the first 8 hour 'break-in' (even the manual shows no break-in is required.)
0058750, 6199xxx
genme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011   #7
HKFever

Even though they run the engine at the factory before shipping, I would always do a normal break-in on a new engine. For me that is eight hours then change oil and filter, another eight hours and repeat. I feel more comfortable switching to synthetic after the third oil change. But that is just me. YMMV
Old November 7th, 2011   #8
douglas123

Smile

I was told all air cooled engines have 5w-30. Sure they run the engine at the factory, I hope they do. I fully agree with the idea of the third oil change being synthetic. Had a unit with 63 hours on it. Shut down on low voltage according to the fault panel. actually shut down on low oil pressure. Triggered low voltage first. Letting this unit run a while longer on non synthetic. Have many units still in service after 15 years. Switched all of them to synthetic in 2003. I did notice the units ran much cooler during HURRICANE ELVIS. Several units ran for 3 plus weeks nonstop except for oil and filter changes. You could say I am a firm believer in synthetic oil.
douglas123 is offline   Reply With Quote