Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old August 1st, 2011   #11
genme

8 hours listed. Manual 0H8358 "Owner's Manual" for "8, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17 & 20kW Air-cooled,
Automatic Standby Generators", Revision C 11/06/10, page 28.
0058750, 6199xxx

Last edited by genme; August 1st, 2011 at 09:04 PM..
genme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011   #12
techntrek

I just checked the version I have at work and this is its part number:

Part No. 0E9057 Revision E (11/18/04)

Covers 3 models (the one I have at home covers the same models):

• 04389-3 – 6 kW NG, 7 kW LP, single-cylinder GH-
410 Engine
• 04456-3 – 12 kW NG, 12 kW LP, V-twin GT-990
Engine
• 04390-3 – 13 kW NG, 15 kW LP, V-twin GT-990
Engine

Two different versions of the same manual, same break-in time, 4 hours. Since yours is more generic and doesn't cover 6 and 12 kw models, I think "8 hours" is more suspect.

Last edited by techntrek; August 2nd, 2011 at 12:20 PM..
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011   #13
genme

Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
Two different versions of the same manual, same break-in time, 4 hours. Since yours is more generic and doesn't cover 6 and 12 kw models, I think "8 hours" is more suspect.
Nothing suspect about it. I just looked at the paper manual that came with my generator. It agrees with 8 hours. It also lists oil change intervals (after the break-in period) as every 200 hours or 2 years, whichever occurs first.

I'm sure I will do more frequent oil changes than Generac calls for. I think we can agree that it is best to treat the manufacturers oil change interval as a maximum.
0058750, 6199xxx
Old August 2nd, 2011   #14
techntrek

Not suspect for your model or the OP's, yes, since your manual covers it (he said he has a 17kw model). So I agree that 8 hours is what he should go with, but not for mine.

My manual states annual oil changes so it differs from yours on that point, too. Obviously your manual is not meant to cover the models that mine does.
Old August 2nd, 2011   #15
genme

I agree - everyone should stick to the schedule for their particular unit. Personally, I think a two year oil change interval is suspect even though the manual calls for it.
0058750, 6199xxx
Old August 3rd, 2011   #16
techntrek

Oil change - yes and no. With the extremely clean burn of LP and NG, plus the use of synthetic, and if you live in an area that has few/short outages, I think you could easily go 3-4 years. LP/NG don't produce the particulates that foul up gasoline and diesel engine oil, and sythetic is cleaner to begin with. If a genset runs 12 minutes per week that is about 10 hours per year, then add in 5-10 hours of actual service which brings you to 15-20 hours total. Your average car is driven ~400 hours per year and gets ~4 oil changes (again, with a much dirtier burn) so that makes the genset's job a cake walk. Having said that, I do change mine every year - but 2 years ago I thought I had an oil filter on the shelf and didn't, and only changed the oil, and didn't loose any sleep over it. Those filters process so much less oil - and less dirty oil - compared to a car or tractor.

Last edited by techntrek; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:10 AM..
Old August 3rd, 2011   #17
techntrek

As an interesting side-note, we've had a Prius for 3 years now, and this past weekend I put synthetic in it for the first time. Just over the last 3 days driving it to work its average mpg has risen by 4 and is still rising.
Old August 3rd, 2011   #18
johnc

Since we're discussing oil changes, if I may add something here. A buddy of mine had a warranty call on his gen. The service tech was a retired military gentleman, whose job in the military was maintaining gens. He made the point that NG burns so very dry that it is necessary to check your oil level often, due to oil evaporation. No mention of LP. May be helpful?
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011   #19
techntrek

Doing a quick search of the net, ignoring the obvious gas-industry P.R. sites, I found this mention on a site that was pushing wood burning stoves. So unlikely they benefit by saying this:

"Natural gas and propane are the cleanest burning fuels."

Looking at a natural gas P.R. site, this is what they say:

"Natural gas is the cleanest of all the fossil fuels, as evidenced in the Environmental Protection Agency’s data comparisons in the chart below [which I didn't include], which is still current as of 2010. Composed primarily of methane, the main products of the combustion of natural gas are carbon dioxide and water vapor, the same compounds we exhale when we breathe."

Looking at a propane P.R. site:

"...the level of damaging emissions following LP Gas combustion is far below that of any readily available carbon based fuel used in vehicles and engines today. Propane is clean burning and environmentally friendly. In fact, propane is listed as an approved clean fuel by U.S. Government energy policy makers and energy administrative bodies."

Too bad we can't rely on hydrogen yet, it only produces water!