Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Liquid Cooled Generators

Generac Liquid Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Liquid Cooled Guardian Generators

Old July 12th, 2011   #1
Kevin M

Default QT02524 exercise problem

I have a 25kw that I can't get to start excercise time. Following the directions switch set to auto, hold down rocker excersice switch for 3 seconds and release. The green light goes off and nothing happens, all lights are supposed to light up and then starts, nothing happens at all, any thoughts on what to check?
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011   #2
douglas123

Smile

I would be glad to assist you. On generac models please supply complete model and serial number. Models change often and proper look up can only be accomplished with serial number.
douglas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011   #3
Kevin M

Thanks Douglas however I figured it out, the dip switch behind the main board was set to GTS instead of ATS.
Old July 14th, 2011   #4
douglas123

Smile

Thank you Kevin for replying back. So many folks are so busy and often forget that there are techs out in the field doing their repair work and come home after a long day and help other folks with their generator scenarios. I really like this forum because I get a chance to run across more problems that need some attention and generator owners and other field service techs cannot get a straight answer to fix the problem. I learn more myself along with helping others
douglas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011   #5
Kevin M

Very true, I've been a member of many forums mostly car forums, but it's a great place for everyone to share their wealth of knowledge.

Maybe you can help answer this as my electrican and solar guy are a bit stumped.

First my unit is a QT02524 serial 4661759.

I picked up this unit used with only 28 hours on it, it was running a Vons. Got a steal of a deal so I bought it to backup my entire house. I also just installed a 10kw 48 panel solar system with 2 Fronius inverters.

The million dollar question that Solar city can not answer is, will the inverters shut down when they sense the power coming from the generator vs. AC power. There is a breaker in the box that feeds a sub panel that runs the inverters, and we will be putting a fused end on this similiar to what a AC would have.

Also we tested the ATS (RTSD200A3) buy turning of the main 200 amp breaker on my house box, and the gen didn't kick on. Any thoughts on what to check. Attached are some pics of wiring from ATS and Gen.

Here is the wiring on the Gen

ATS

Whole ATS

Any thoughts?
Old July 14th, 2011   #6
ceb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post

Also we tested the ATS (RTSD200A3) buy turning of the main 200 amp breaker on my house box, and the gen didn't kick on. Any thoughts on what to check. Attached are some pics of wiring from ATS and Gen.

Here is the wiring on the Gen

ATS

Whole ATS

Any thoughts?
I have questions. In the 2nd pic. the wiring coming out of the bottom nipple. You have a black and red going up and it looks as if it lands in the top of the breaker. Correct? Are these are coming directly from the meter base or is there another disconnect before the ATS?
Also there is another set of black and red coming from the same nipple and landing on what looks to be the gen. lugs. Correct?
ceb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011   #7
Kevin M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
I have questions. In the 2nd pic. the wiring coming out of the bottom nipple. You have a black and red going up and it looks as if it lands in the top of the breaker. Correct? Are these are coming directly from the meter base or is there another disconnect before the ATS?
Also there is another set of black and red coming from the same nipple and landing on what looks to be the gen. lugs. Correct?
Yes the bottom nipple is coming from the main meter base to the right of the ATS. I need to check on the second question. The nipple on the left is heading over to Gen. I'll take some better pics when I get home.
Old July 14th, 2011   #8
mastr

Quote:
...Also we tested the ATS (RTSD200A3) buy turning of the main 200 amp breaker on my house box, and the gen didn't kick on...
I think the only thing you tested by turning off the "main 200 amp breaker", was that breaker. The transfer switch is ahead of it. What happens if you shut off the 200A breaker on the transfer switch itself?
mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011   #9
Kevin M

I'll try that tonight and let you know, so leave the main on and kick the ATS, or do both?
Old July 14th, 2011   #10
mastr

Quote:
I'll try that tonight and let you know, so leave the main on and kick the ATS, or do both?
What I would do- (DISCLAIMER- proceed at your own risk. If you do not understand these directions obtain competent assistance from someone who does)

(1) check voltage at your "main" breaker panel lugs with generator off and transfer switch in normal position. You will probably read in the area of 120V line to ground and 240V line to line.

(2) shut "main" breaker off. Verify voltage reading as above.

(3) shut off 200A breaker in transfer switch. Generator should start and transfer switch operate, perhaps after a delay. Check voltage at "main" breaker lugs again. Voltage should be between 110-127 line to ground and 220-254 line to line. IF IT IS NOT IN THAT RANGE, STOP THE GENERATOR RIGHT AWAY and find out what is wrong.

(4) If voltage is OK, turn on "main" breaker. Verify voltage within the range above under load.

(5) Turn transfer switch breaker back on. Switch will transfer to utility and generator should stop (perhaps after a delay).

(6) Turn transfer switch breaker off. Generator should start and transfer after a delay.

(7) When you get tired of turning things on and off in your house and hearing the set run turn transfer switch breaker back on. Switch will transfer to utility and generator should stop (perhaps after a delay).

(8) Call it done.

Last edited by mastr : July 14th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
mastr is offline   Reply With Quote