Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Installation Talk

Installation Talk Questions/Concerns and help involving the installation of a Guardian Automatic Generator

Old June 28th, 2011   #1
phabib

Default Dual power source warning label

I just had the inspection on my self installed generator/transfer switch and the inspector wants to see a warning label on my panel saying that it is fed by two power sources with the second being the generator so that in case someone cuts off the power at the main breaker then fails to notice the running generator on the way to the breaker panel they will get one more chance to avoid digging into it.

Does anyone know a source for these? Failing that, is there an approved wording, size, and color in case I need to make my own?

Thank you.
phabib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011   #2
SkipD

This is the text for the warning sign that I put on the meter pedestal outside the house. A very similar sign is placed on the transfer switch inside the basement.:

WARNING: This residence is equipped with a fully automatic natural gas powered standby generator and an auto-sensing transfer switch which will automatically start the generator and power the residence if utility power is lost.

The generator set is located outside the northeast corner of the house.

Disconnecting means are available inside the generator cover (which is normally locked) and in the transfer switch panel which is adjacent to the main breaker panel in the basement behind this pedestal. The transfer switch panel also houses the primary disconnect from utility power.

The signs are printed on a color laser printer (so that the "ink" won't run) and then are heat-laminated for weather protection. I've had to replace the outdoor sign after about three years.

Last edited by SkipD : June 28th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
SkipD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011   #3
ceb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
This is the text for the warning sign that I put on the meter pedestal outside the house. A very similar sign is placed on the transfer switch inside the basement.:

WARNING: This residence is equipped with a fully automatic natural gas powered standby generator and an auto-sensing transfer switch which will automatically start the generator and power the residence if utility power is lost.

The generator set is located outside the northeast corner of the house.

Disconnecting means are available inside the generator cover (which is normally locked) and in the transfer switch panel which is adjacent to the main breaker panel in the basement behind this pedestal. The transfer switch panel also houses the primary disconnect from utility power.

The signs are printed on a color laser printer (so that the "ink" won't run) and then are heat-laminated for weather protection. I've had to replace the outdoor sign after about three years.

Though Skips sign is very detailed, even stating his code violation, all of that is not necessary. 702.8 (2008) NEC states that a sign will be placed at the service entrance equipment and it will indicate the type and location. To comply all the sign has to say is to the effect of:
WARNING- THIS HOME IS SERVED BY MORE THAN ONE POWER SOURCE.
STANDBY GENERATOR LOCATED SOUTH CORNER OF REAR YARD.
ceb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011   #4
Ira

Do a search on posts by NYS SITEPOWER CORP. His company sells warning labels on their website. This link...

Generator warning decal

...will take you directly to the page that shows them.
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011   #5
douglas123

Nice decals, simple and to the point $5.98 plus shipping for a pack of two. Glad this issue was brought up. No inspector in the Memphis area has ever mentioned it. I am going to check local supply houses and see if they offer the same or something similar. Some utility workers are not knowedgeable of generator systems and sad to say some don't even care when you tell them.
douglas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011   #6
Canada_Guy

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a set for my neighbors and my own system.
Canada_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011   #7
phabib

Yes, thank you. I'm not sure if I will need 2 or 3 for my situation.

My meter is near the street with the 200A main breaker there.

From there power surfaces in a 200A fused disconnect box where I moved the wires to the xfr switch which is about 2 ft away, but around the corner.

From the xfr, it goes back to the disconnect box, then to the house breaker box with all of the individual breakers in it.

The inspector only asked for the label at the house breaker box. It seems like you'd also do good by putting one at the meter/main breaker box so that someone did not turn that off and think they were done. Should there also be one at the fused disconnect box since it could be energized when utility power is off.

Really that fused disconnect is the one served by 2 sources, the final breaker box gets its power from only the fused disconnect and turning that off gets rid of power regardless of the source.

Of course, I'll just put the stickers wherever the inspector wants and not try to overthink the whole thing.
Old July 18th, 2011   #8
hkiefus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
Though Skips sign is very detailed, even stating his code violation, all of that is not necessary. 702.8 (2008) NEC states that a sign will be placed at the service entrance equipment and it will indicate the type and location. To comply all the sign has to say is to the effect of:
WARNING- THIS HOME IS SERVED BY MORE THAN ONE POWER SOURCE.
STANDBY GENERATOR LOCATED SOUTH CORNER OF REAR YARD.
Ok, I'll bite, what is Skip's code violation?
hkiefus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011   #9
phabib

My guess is that he did not use fade resistant outdoor proof labels.
Old July 18th, 2011   #10
SkipD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkiefus View Post
Ok, I'll bite, what is Skip's code violation?
I believe he was referring to the fact that I do not have an accessible disconnect outdoors within sight of the generator. That was not required when the generator was installed, so it's a non-issue as far as our electrical inspector was/is concerned.