Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old August 8th, 2007   #1
Mikey

Default Generator shuts down after 15 seconds.

I have a problem with my Guardian generator that I am hoping you can help me with.

It is 12 KW Model 04456-3 which I purchased from a local Home Depot here in Florida almost exactly three years ago.

I noticed this last Sunday that the weekly exercise run had not occurred. No lights were lit on the panel. No red trouble lights and no green "system set" light.

I pressed the switch to "manual" and the engine started, ran and sounded normal for approximately 15 seconds, then shut itself off, then re-started, ran 15 seconds and shut itself off again. This repeated several times until I pressed the switch to "off".

I then pressed the "auto" switch and held the "set exercise time" switch until the engine started. The same thing happened with a run of 15 seconds, shut off, re-run 15 seconds, etc. Just as it did when I pressed the "manual" switch.

Propane supply is good, utility line voltage is good, the two 5 amp fuses in the transfer switch cabinet are good.

I briefly disconnected the oil pressure safety switch to keep that circuit open (as would adequate oil pressure). No difference in generator behavior. I briefly disconnected the high temperature safety switch to keep that circuit open (as would normal temps). No difference in generator behavior.

The next door neighbor (about 50 feet from my generator) suffered some lightning damage a few days prior to my problems, although I noticed no physical damage to the generator or any other electrical devices on my property.

Do you think I need a new control board? Is there any other likely cause for the repeated run-shutoff-run-shutoff behavior? I see a partno of 0D8615 in my manual for the control board and have found a number 0D86150SRV listed a few places on-line for a control board that says "replaces 0D8615".

Do you have a suitable control board in stock and what would be the price? What would be different between the original 0D8615 and the replacement 0D86150SRV?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikey; August 8th, 2007 at 03:23 PM..
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007   #2
Kelly Myers
Administrator

You will need to test the engine run winding.

You can call into us at 1-888-2-ZILLER and a service tech can explain how to do this, or you're more then welcome to purchase a dealer service manual from us that includes pictures.

They are $34.95.
1-888-2-ZILLER
Kelly Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007   #3
Bill Liedtke

Default 8615 control board

Sorry to hear of your trouble. It sounds a little like my problem above. My 4390 died during a storm and will only do what yours does now. It sounds like
The unit does not know it is running so it tries to keep restarting until it has cycled like 5 times and then it will quit. IF you should need a new control board, please buy mine. I though that was what I needed so I bought one. Had no effect. My generator section is not putting anything out. Check your outlet on side of unit or voltage at the breaker. Your generator section may be shot like mine. IF you need a 8615, the cheapest I found anywhere was 195.00. I'll ship mine to your home for 170.00 It is a revision C the latest. My 2 year old unit was a rev. B

Bill

boodyman@msn.com
Bill Liedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007   #4
Mikey

Bill, I still need to do some troubleshooting. I've ordered a service manual from Kelly and I'll let you know if I need a control board. Thanks. Mikey
Old August 14th, 2007   #5
Bill Liedtke

Default Kelly- could this be my issue as well???????

Kelly,

Not to hijack a thread, but could this be my issue as well with my 4390?
This is the one we think has a bad stator???

Bill
Bill Liedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007   #6
Mikey

Default Engine Run winding

I received my service manual and its a good one. Every owner should order one of these manuals.

The manual troubleshooting tree tells me to basically do three tests if the unit repeatedly runs a few seconds & shuts down.

First it says to check the fuel pressure. I had to skip this test as I did not have the correct gauges on hand (I'll be borrowing some soon).

The next test was test #70 which directs several continuity tests and then an engine run winding voltage measurement. The continuity checks were fine. The engine run winding resulted in a tiny measurement of about .2 vac (2/10s of a volt), which would be condsiderred a failed result.

The third test was test #7 which directs several resistance measurements on the stator windings. The published spec for these windings is only about .1 ohm. However, I measured .4 to .5 ohm for all of the windings. Interesting that the "engine run" winding would not produce a significant voltage and yet does not read as open or shorted to ground. Hmmm.

Maybe I need a new stator. Can they be repaired?

How much would a new stator cost?

Kelly - any suggestions at this point? Should I order a new stator? I assume they're on the expensive side. I am out of warranty.

Mikey
Old September 11th, 2007   #7
Mikey

Default Found the problem -

A defect in the rotor trashed my stator. See the separate post I made today "Defective Rotor ...." for details and photos. Wow.