Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old January 23rd, 2011   #1
cabo

Default Generac 20 kW low voltage alarm

I installed a 20 kw model 5875 ever since it was install when this unit go's to exersize mode a alram comes up saying low voltage,but this unit will run when fine when there is a lose of power
cabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011   #2
Gonzo

I have one with the same "Under Voltage" problem. 1st time I called tech support they said it was a choak problem. It wasnt. 2nd call they said it was a bad field boost diode. Wrong. After several more calls to tech support they finally said it was a software glitch and needs a new nexus controller. Im waiting for the controller now, I hope it solves the problem.

Last edited by Gonzo : January 23rd, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011   #3
ohmslaw

Do not expect it to cure the problem. I replaced a NG 20 KW controller Friday for this issue. The customer called tonight. Red light under voltage during exercise. Gonzo & Cabo are your units running NG or propane?
Tim
ohmslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011   #4
bronco

Is the problem a low AC or low dc? If you know.
bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011   #5
KevinBam

Ive had this several times, a couple of times the controller was the issue, the other times it was gas, one had a small pebble in the gas line, another the pipe was only half inch and was starving for fuel at start-up, put in 3/4 and did fine after that.
KevinBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011   #6
sadams

I have been out to install 3 times with 3 differnt controllers, I set them to high speed excerice and once agian Friday the customer called me and told me that it started and excercised for about 15 seconds and undervoltage came up again any suggestions the customer wants to rip this unit out and refund his money, Im at my witts end
sadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011   #7
rmac

I had this same problem on a few units. There is a PIB out (PIB10-10-AAC) to remedy this problem on units with serial #'s between 5867737 through 6056675. It requires a change out of the Choke Plate Assembly. It is a warranty repair and has resolved the issues with the units I have had problems with. Although the PIB does not specifically address the words 'Under Voltage Alarm', it does the trick.
rmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011   #8
ohmslaw

RMAC,
That may do the trick if you use low speed exercise. I gave up on that 50 units ago.
Tim
ohmslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011   #9
cabo

Default low voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
Do not expect it to cure the problem. I replaced a NG 20 KW controller Friday for this issue. The customer called tonight. Red light under voltage during exercise. Gonzo & Cabo are your units running NG or propane?
Tim
This unit is running on propane,also the unit will transfer fine when a there is a power failure,my client is ready for a new unit,this is not good
Old January 25th, 2011   #10
cabo

Default low voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams View Post
I have been out to install 3 times with 3 differnt controllers, I set them to high speed excerice and once agian Friday the customer called me and told me that it started and excercised for about 15 seconds and undervoltage came up again any suggestions the customer wants to rip this unit out and refund his money, Im at my witts end
I understand im in the same boat,but the unit will transfer fine when there is a power outage this only happens on exersize mode