Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Installation Talk

Installation Talk Questions/Concerns and help involving the installation of a Guardian Automatic Generator

Old January 12th, 2011   #1
spider60

Default Generac gas line run

I'm installing a Generac 10 kw with nexus controller. Have approx. a 25 foot straight run of 3/4 inch gas line that is currently shared with furnace, stove, clothes dryer, and during the summer I have a gas grill connected on the end of the run on the outside of the home. Can I connect a "T" fitting on the end of the run (where I connect the grill), carry it around the corner of the house approx. 5 more feet of run, and still have enough gas to run the generator? Minimum requirement is 6 inches of water column. Thanks
spider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011   #2
SkipD

First off, you may need to up-size the meter and regulator for your house. Add up all of the consumption figures for all of the appliances presently connected. Then, add the consumption of the generator (at 100% load). Compare the total to the figure on the meter/regulator. If the total you calculated is larger than the rating of the meter, you will need to contact the utility and get a new meter installed.

THEN, you should calculate the pipe size required based on the device(s) at the other end of the pipe. This Natural Gas Pipe Chart web site can be a big help in doing the necessary calculations.

My guess is that the pipe you presently have will not be large enough for the task and you will probably need a new meter.
Old January 12th, 2011   #3
ohmslaw

The gas line just makes it for a 10 kw with out any other loads. The answer is no.
Tim
ohmslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011   #4
spider60

OK...thanks for the advice. PW
spider60 is offline   Reply With Quote