Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old November 18th, 2010   #1
wavery

Default Check Battery message - why?

Guardian model 5885, 17 KW.

Late this morning we finally got utility power back after about 2.5 days. (Cause was windstorm). Last night I turned off the generator for the night because propane supply was running a little low and I wanted to conserve.

When I went to start the generator this morning there was a "check battery" message on the generator. I'm wondering why. This is a new generator with new batter (installed in September). I only had the generator off for about 7.5 hours. I would think the battery would have enough capacity to keep the system alive for that long without the charge depleting. Any ideas?

BTW, the outside temp this morning was about 34 deg. F

Luckily the generator fired right up.
wavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #2
mastr

The battery voltage is maintained by a charger when utility power is on, and the resulting voltage is somewhat higher than the battery's stand alone voltage. You shut the set off and fooled the board logic into "thinking" the battery was pulling down the charger voltage, when in fact the charger was not working. Not really an issue, since the whole point of a standby set is that it runs when the utility is not available.

Last edited by mastr; November 18th, 2010 at 03:26 PM..
mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #3
wavery

Default check battery message

thanks for the prompt reply. Good to know that the warning was just an artifact of the logic board.
Old November 18th, 2010   #4
Gman1

The battery charger input voltage is supplied from the load side of the transfer switch. The engine running has nothing to do with battery charging. When the utility is off and the generator is not outputting a/c voltage, the battery is discharging. The light you saw was probably lit due to a low voltage condition...even though it still had enough juice to start the engine. I don't know how long the newer controllers take to drain the battery, but the previous generation would drain the battery low enough to prevent cranking in a couple of days. Lots of people have the misconception that the engine runs during exercise to charge the battery. The battery and charger power the controller 100% of the time whether or not the engine is running.
Gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #5
mastr

My point would have been better made by " the whole point of a standby set is that it produces power when the utility is not available".
mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #6
wavery

Default check battery message

I assume the battery gets charged by the generator itself when the utility power is out and the generator is running. correct?

Also, when I got home from work tonight the message was still flashing on my wireless remote, even though the utility power came back on this morning. Does this mean the utility power has not charged the battery back enough, or does it mean I need to clear the message? If the latter, how do I do that?
Old November 19th, 2010   #7
bronco

The new generators use the load side of the ATS to provide 120 VAC to the controler for battery charge, the engine does not have to run to charge it.
Yes you will need to clear it.

Place unit in off.

Push esc key till you see 4 menu's go to edit, then scroll to manitance reset, push enter, up arrow (should say YES), enter, esc a few times then back to auto and your green light shold be back on.
bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010   #8
wavery

I called the local dealer on friday. They said if the "check battery" warning doesn't go off by monday (today) then give them a call. That will make it about 4 days with the warning. Anyway, I called them, and was told somebody will be in my area today servicing another generator, and they will have the technician drop by.
Old November 24th, 2010   #9
wavery

Well, to close this thread out, the technician came out monday. The answer was to go to the "Maintenance" menu and clear the maintenance log. The guy was nice enough. Too bad he had to spend about 2/3rds of the time on the phone with somebody else to figure it out. He said this is a new "panel" and they don't have the manual on it, yet. This is the relatively new "Nexus" line of generators, and my perception is that Generac has not done a great job of educating their dealer network on the nuances of it.
Old October 27th, 2011   #10
Ginaelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavery View Post
Well, to close this thread out, the technician came out monday. The answer was to go to the "Maintenance" menu and clear the maintenance log. The guy was nice enough. Too bad he had to spend about 2/3rds of the time on the phone with somebody else to figure it out. He said this is a new "panel" and they don't have the manual on it, yet. This is the relatively new "Nexus" line of generators, and my perception is that Generac has not done a great job of educating their dealer network on the nuances of it.
Any factory trained tech would have known this, Obviously the tech that came to you was not a factory trained tech and should not have be sent out to troubleshoot any problem, Generac does not train Sales dealers. It trains authorized service dealers.
Ginaelectric is offline   Reply With Quote