Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old October 17th, 2010   #1
vet327

Default Under-voltage alarm 5875

Just came back from a 2 month old install to go over the operations of the generator with the customer when I was walking up to it and saw the red light on . Great another problem!!! We opened the hood and the display said UNDER VOLTAGE , then I went to review the run log. Seems the alarm happened last week during exercise(Quit mode). cleared the code and tried to start it, failed on the first attempt,then ran fine ,transferred fine and voltage was fine. Then the neighbor said the generator didn't sound rite ? so I think what happen is it was running CRAPPY (like must of the ones I have seen on quit mode)and could not maintain proper voltage or 5 sec and shut down what due you think???????? and I took it off quit mode for now.
vet327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #2
ohmslaw

I think you are correct. Natural gas? I do not even use the quiet test mode anymore.
Tim
ohmslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #3
rmac

Default Under voltage alarm

I had this same problem on a few units. There is a PIB out (PIB10-10-AAC) to remedy this problem on units with serial #'s between 5867737 through 6056675. It requires a change out of the Choke Plate Assembly. It is a warranty repair and has resolved the issues with the units I have had problems with. Although the PIB does not specifically address the words 'Under Voltage Alarm', it does the trick.
rmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #4
dave

On a good unit I don't think you get 120/240 on Quiet mode. Anybody actually measure voltage during quiet test?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #5
Gman1

We have been turning off quiet mode on every install. It makes some of them run funny, and it makes all of them hard to hear when they are exercising.
Gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #6
ohmslaw

I believe the voltage is around 185.

Last edited by ohmslaw; October 17th, 2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old October 17th, 2010   #7
vet327

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac View Post
I had this same problem on a few units. There is a PIB out (PIB10-10-AAC) to remedy this problem on units with serial #'s between 5867737 through 6056675. It requires a change out of the Choke Plate Assembly. It is a warranty repair and has resolved the issues with the units I have had problems with. Although the PIB does not specifically address the words 'Under Voltage Alarm', it does the trick.
whats PIB mean?
vet327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010   #8
ohmslaw

I think it stands for Product Information Bulletin
Old October 26th, 2010   #9
NaptownChap

Great info. I had the same problem with my 17kw running rough in Quiet-Mode during test.

I have now set it to test at full speed.

It's not a good thing to see a red light on there after the fact and learn you were not be protected when you were not home.
NaptownChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010   #10
Joe Hudson

I have to say that my quiet mode works fine. There may be a very subtle miss but it is not constant. And you almost have to listen for it.

I personally like he quiet mode because with the reduced RPM the engine will not get the same cooling as full RPM.

Any air cooled engine is designed to run at full RPM not only for power but cooling. In Quiet mode I am thinking that the temperatures of the engine and oil would be a little higher running for a short time. My thoughts here is the possibility that any higher temperatures would help to reduce the condensation in the oil.

Just my opinion.

Joe
Joe Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote