Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Installation Talk

Installation Talk Questions/Concerns and help involving the installation of a Guardian Automatic Generator

Old September 21st, 2010   #1
Mike

Default Gas pipe size for Generac 10kW?

Does 3/4" sound like it is sufficient size for the gas supply line on a Genrerac 10KW unit?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010   #2
Dennis

I think the board will need to know if you are using NG or LP, and how long the pipe run is from the meter or tank. Also if you are going to tap into a line feeding something else or not.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010   #3
Mike

It is natural gas and the genreator is about 20 feet from the gas meter. The line going to the generator is only a 10' long run after tapping into the supply line. The line also has a branch going to the furnace. No gas appliances other than the furnace in the house.
Thanks
Old September 23rd, 2010   #4
Grady22

Mike- Generac's sizing guide (part # 0172610SBY) says that the maximum pipe size for your unit is: no more than 10' of 3/4" pipe, no more than 85' of 1" pipe. These measurements are from where the gas pressure is adequate. I think I would run 1" just to be sure.
Grady22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010   #5
SkipD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It is natural gas and the genreator is about 20 feet from the gas meter. The line going to the generator is only a 10' long run after tapping into the supply line. The line also has a branch going to the furnace. No gas appliances other than the furnace in the house.
In doing your analysis and calculations, you need to consider ALL of the gas flowing through the piping.

How large is the "supply line" you refer to (between the meter and the tap point for the generator run)?

What is the delivered gas pressure after your meter while it's under full load?

How large is the capacity of your meter? It must be able to handle ALL of the equipment connected to it with everything running at maximum. Thus, you need to know the BTU capacity of the furnace as well as the generator.
Old September 23rd, 2010   #6
Mike

Thank you all for you input. I will do some more homework before I proceed.
Mike
Old November 5th, 2010   #7
exrace

You need to find out the max flow of your gas meter as it might be sized to only supply enough gas to the current devices in your home. I don't have the flow rate needed for your generator but it should be included in your doc you received with the generator. You really need to see if your current meter will handle the flow of all you devices combined.

See table 4 for a quick pipe sizing guide:
http://www.mygenerac.com/PublicPDFs/0172610SBY.pdf

1" would be fine.
exrace is offline   Reply With Quote