Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Generac Air Cooled Generators

Generac Air Cooled Generators Troubleshooting Questions, Answers, and Information About Air Cooled Guardian Generators

Old June 11th, 2010   #1
lakeman

Default Any way to monitor generator load?

Installing a new 17KW with 16 circuit bundled transfer switch.

I would like the ability to perodically check the load on the generator. Does anyone know of any inductive meters that I might add to check the loading?

Thanks
lakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010   #2
techntrek

You can buy semi-permanent clamp-on amp probes that will install in the panel. You can monitor per circuit, or on the feed from the genset. I only had time to do a quick search and didn't look to closely at this site but it looks like it will point you in the right direction.

http://www.home-energy-metering.com/...y-monitor.html
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010   #3
SkipD

If you simply want to measure the current levels but not necessarily monitor them continuously and/or record them, you can get clamp-on AC ammeters from a number of sources.

I use an old model CG100D clamp-on ammeter by F.W. Bell which has served me well for many years. It measures both AC and DC current.

I also have a Fluke i1010 AC/DC Current Clamp which uses a DMM for its readout. This unit, as the name implies, also reads both AC and DC current.
Old June 12th, 2010   #4
Canada_Guy

I was thinking of installing a pair of monitoring meters on my transfer switch. I have been looking at this meter (link below).

It is 0-100 Amps (they also have 0-50 amps for smaller gens). The meter comes with the current transformer. Slip one transformer over each of the 2 hot leg on the output of the transfer switch.

I have not decided if I would mount them on the front of the transfer switch box, or in a separate enclosure nearby.

Maybe someone would chime in on any regulatory concerns.

Link to the product
http://bluesea.com/category/6/23/products/8258

Link to the install manual
http://bluesea.com/files/resources/i...tions/9975.pdf
Canada_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010   #5
Ira

I've been using the Brultech ECM-1240 for almost a year. I actually now have three of them installed, and am monitoring about 18 different circuits plus the mains to get a total usage number. I need to add one more out in my shop to be able to monitor my water well pump usage. Never thought about putting CT's on the genset mains since mine powers my entire home if/when I lose power, but it would work there.

The software was a little troublesome when it first came out last year, but it works pretty good now. The hardware has never been any problems for me.

Ira
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010   #6
amik

The problem with using the analog meter directly on the transfer switch is that you'll loose the certfication: csa in canada and maybe ul in US and if there's a fire started in the transfer switch and you have made any kind of modification you could be in deep trouble with your insurer...

just my .02

Sebastien
amik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010   #7
rogpike

I bought one of these. It is a useful device monitoring load on generator and monitoring how much electricity you are using when you are on the grid. Super cool device.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/
rogpike is offline   Reply With Quote