PDA

View Full Version : Older model 04109-0 8kw

jtaoj
November 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hi, first time in this forum. Glad I found it.

I have a chance to buy an older but unused Guardian 8kw model 04109-0 (I think that is the model...that is the number on the motor).

The person who owns it is asking $1000 for everything. The unit has never been connected nor run. I know it is a small unit. My use would be to keep a furnace and fridge running at a second home when the power goes out. Her husband purchased it at Home Depot 5+ years ago, never found anyone to install it or they didn't bother to find anyone. He recently passed away and she is clearing things out. I would be running this from my main propane lines from the house, fed by a propane tank.

I have a few questions:
1. I think this is a good deal, but is it?
2. Is this a good unit? I know there have been improvements in the units over time.
3. What should I look for? Is there an easy way to test fire?
4. What else should I be considering? Will it be difficult to find someone to install this thing?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Utah

NYS SitePower Corp.
November 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Jeff -

Not a bad deal. You could use the fact that it has been sitting for years as a bargaining tool as its not good to let a generator sit for too long unused depending on the storage conditions. Not knowing the storage conditions, I would at least pull the spark plug and swab the top of the piston / cylinder wall with a long q-tip to check for any rust. Its really a crap-shoot as to if you'll find dry cracked seals or anything else; not to scare you, and I'm reasonably sure you won't find a catastrophic failure, but it is something to consider - and another bargaining tool. :D

Theres not a lot of newer Dealers that work on those often, but as long as you have all the manuals, any reputable Guardian / Generac Dealer or electrical contractor can get you up & running.

Personally, if I could snag it for $700 or better I would be on it. They were a decent unit in their day, and yes, some improvements have been made, but its still a decent machine despite the newer models being easier to service & adjust. Remember that you can get an 8kW (with transfer switch) new for $1989.00 anywhere. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

jtaoj
November 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks NYS. That is really helpful.

One other question. I know this can vary, but what should I expect to pay for installation? The location I would put the generator would be close to a gas line and as close to my breaker box as is possible, but outside?

Thanks!

Jeff

SkipD
November 15th, 2008, 05:39 AM
.... The location I would put the generator would be close to a gas line and as close to my breaker box as is possible, but outside?Jeff, ideally you would like to locate the generator in the way you describe. However, it is critically important to make sure the generator is far enough away from any opening(s) in an occupied building to prevent the exhaust from getting into the building. NFPA 37 is a national code that defines minimum clearances and distances for the installation of stationary engines.

Generators must be located outdoors. A good guideline would be to have a minimum of ten feet from any part of the generator to the nearest window, door, or other opening in an occupied building. The unit also must have a minimum clearance between the generator and walls, etc.

If you do not have the manuals for the 4109-0, you can download them. Click on these links to download the installation manual (http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Documents/ViewPDF.aspx?ItemNbr=0C2165&dtMO=11/15/2008&typ=m) and the owner's manual (http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Documents/ViewPDF.aspx?ItemNbr=0C2369&dtMO=11/15/2008&typ=m). These manuals should help you understand the requirements.

NYS SitePower Corp.
November 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Missed the outside part - good catch Skip :D

As for installation - thats a loaded question, heres why:

Some contractors will do the electrical only.
Some contractors will do the plumbing only.
Some contractors only do the propane work.
Some contractors will do both plumbing & electrical.
Some contractors will secure permits & take care of electrical inspections on your behalf.
Some contractors include EVERYTHING required for the installation.
Some contractors will not included everything you need for the installation.
Some contractors will do the installation, but no testing or troubleshooting.
Some contractors will be capable of everything listed above and more.

We do plenty of work for elderly people that have already been scared into believing that every contractor is a criminal so we tend to included absolutely everything under one price for simplicity. We never go back and charge for "extras" unless the customer requests something totally off the wall, and even then we'll do a change order to be agreed on by both parties. I realize that we don't get every job doing it this way because our price is often higher than the competition, but we sleep well knowing that all aspects of a customer's job have been completed with no surprises.

The bottom line is find somebody that you're comfortable with, and when you compare estimates make sure to get it all in writing and compare apples to apples. Theres plenty of guys out there that do excellent work and know how to support the product well, but theres a larger majority that are just looking to put food on the table tonight if you know what I mean. The latter group may be good at installing floor tile or framing houses, but I can guarantee that you won't be sorry if you use a reputable generator contractor for your install & service. On a side note, if you're in these forums, you're already learning a lot, so when you speak to contractors, you should have a pretty good idea of what to ask and the answers you should receive.

As always, good luck with your install!