PDA

View Full Version : 15kW 4390 will not turn over

twnlks
September 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM
My generator (04390-3 15 KW LP (propane) ) that will not exercise or turnover when I push the manual start switch. I have replaced the battery and installed new fuses. When I push the manual start switch I hear a very faint click which does not repeat!

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what else to check? I live in a remote area of California where there are no local technicians.

Thanks,

Bill

iflyhelis
September 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
A serial will help out here for the techs & also how long you have owned this generator.

Also how many hours has this generator got on the run time clock?

Canada_Guy
September 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Do you have a volt meter? Do you know how to use it?

If so, you could start with some voltage checks. Check the battery voltage (I know you replaced it, but I would still confirm it's good).

You could start doing some tracing/checking. Check the starter solenoid. Is it getting 12-volts during cranking?

I did a search and found a diagnostic and service manual that you can use for troubleshooting. Here's the link:

http://www.generac.com/PublicPDFs/E3586.pdf

Good luck.

Peddler
September 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
The faint click you hear is the starter contactor relay. The most likely problem is the starter itself. Some basic trouble shooting should point you in this direction so follow what the Canada Guy suggested. Good Luck, Peddler

johnc
September 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM
rare to have a new battery bad. Have to load check it to see if amp output is ok. Parts store should be able to do that. Many folks have found bad starters on 4390 gens. Can be a little hard to replace but can be done with patience. If you diy, may be worth having plenty of 3/8 ratchet extensions and metric sockets to remove bolts holding down panels. Eventually you will probably need them to check brushes for wear and alignment. Geneerac could have made it alot easier to remove panels but manufacturers have to now make things look good not worry about ease of maintenance. Would anyone want to be a car mechanic now?