PDA

View Full Version : 5875 - Resetting maintenance reminder light question

Sonny
July 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I changed the oil for the first time in my Generac 20kw model 58751, Serial number ****. I tried to reset the maintenance alert to also turn off the yellow light. I have the instruction matrix, but it speaks of a + and - key to move the menu selections horizontally. My generator does not have a + or - key. My local Generac dealer could not answer my question. They just faxed me another copy of the same matrix that's in my user manual. Help please.

Peddler
July 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Go to the edit screen,,press enter,,,use the up and down arrows to get to the "Maintance reset",,,hit enter,,,press arrow to change the "no" to a "yes" and then hit enter...your good until the next reminder

genme
July 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
The '-' and '+' should appear within the LCD display (respectively at the far left and far right of the display) once you are in the menu that needs them.

Reminds me of the old computer instruction to "press 'Any' key to continue." Good luck finding the 'Any' key. :)

Sonny
July 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I changed the oil for the first time in my Generac 20kw model 58751, Serial number ****. I tried to reset the maintenance alert to also turn off the yellow light. I have the instruction matrix, but it speaks of a + and - key to move the menu selections horizontally. My generator does not have a + or - key. My local Generac dealer could not answer my question. They just faxed me another copy of the same matrix that's in my user manual. Help please.

I'll try it again, thanks to everyone. I admit that I am still confused about the horizontal movement of the menu items using the + and - key that does not exist. Please forgive me and help me to understand how to navigate thru the menu selections. Somehow, I have changed the language selection from English to French. And....I can't even get back to the main menu screen. I am now 76 and have spent a 48 year career in electronic maintenance and computers. Baffleling huh? Sorry!!

genme
July 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Try thinking of the plus and minus as up and down (as Peddler described) and think of the navigation as menus and sub-menus (not horizontal and vertical like the chart is depicted.)

I was going to suggest getting an 18 year old French girl to help you out, but it may take too long to to get one. :D Instead, our Owner's Manual has English, Spanish, and French. Find the French menu (page 113 in our paper manual) and use it with the English menu page for the translation. Disclaimer: I assume the menus are the same (just a different language) but I am not positive. I hope this helps.

Oh, pushing the Esc key takes you back one step (to the previous sub-menu or menu.) Eventually, pressing escape will toggle between the main status screen (example:ready to run), and the main menu screen. You'll know you're there if pushing Esc just toggles you between two options. The menus also time out as a certain point, so you should be at the main status screen when you first try it today.

If you're still having trouble, let me know. I'll give you my phone number and we can work on it together. I have a 5875 too.