PDA

View Full Version : Iridium spark plugs

IslandGuy
October 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Has anyone considered Iridium Plugs for their Generac? Obviously they are more expensive but not out of the world. They should last the life of the generator and possibly a more reliable spark.

Generac 16KW Model # 0052440
Serial # is 4702058
Fuel: Propane

The stock plug is a Champion RC14YC. The NGK Iridium equivalent is BCPR5EIX (5688) with 0.032" Gap or BCPR5EIX-11(3306) with 0.040" Gap. The standard NGK is a BCPR5ES.

SkipD
October 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm still running the original Champion RC14YC plugs in my 5416 generator. We fired it up in May of 2008. The insulators are as clean and white as my spare set (checked a few minutes ago to be sure) and I see no abrasion to the electrodes at all.

I simply cannot see any reason to use any other plugs as long as these stay clean and are not worn.

techntrek
October 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
One benefit of LPG and NG is they burn very clean, you shouldn't ever see any carbon buildup. The only potential problem will be wearing down the electrode over time but I'd bet you won't even see that with the original plugs. Your average car runs about 2500 hours at the 100,000 mile mark when the plugs should be changed. Air-cooled Generacs are designed for 3000 hours...

douglas123
October 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Briggs Style engines like the champion plugs. If you are going to use something else make sure they are rated for the same heat range. Personally I won't use anything else in these engines especially if it is still under warranty.

IslandGuy
October 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely heed it. My suggestion for using the Iridium was primarily in the hopes of improving cold starts, which in my case are not the best. My two year old Generac struggles even in a warm climate. My experience with air cooled engines is that quality plugs can make a big difference. In my earlier years we had fantastic success with Bosch Platinum plugs in snowmobiles and motocross bikes, mind you these were dirty two strokes. The Standard Champions were very unreliable in that regard and we eventually abandoned them completely.

SkipD
October 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely heed it. My suggestion for using the Iridium was primarily in the hopes of improving cold starts, which in my case are not the best. My two year old Generac struggles even in a warm climate. My experience with air cooled engines is that quality plugs can make a big difference. In my earlier years we had fantastic success with Bosch Platinum plugs in snowmobiles and motocross bikes, mind you these were dirty two strokes. The Standard Champions were very unreliable in that regard and we eventually abandoned them completely.Try simply reducing the gap dimension a bit.

d11gnccer
October 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM
As long as the heat range is identical it shouldn't matter. If it struggles to start in warm climate you havn't ruled out undersized gas line have you? Don't gap the iridium or platinum plugs. I learned this the hard way on my truck and chased a misfire for 3 days to find out that by gapping them you can chip the coating.

All my bikes use NGK... not that it matters though.

78buckshot
October 29th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I agree with the rest of the gang, no reason to switch brands, you have something else causing hard starts.