PDA

View Full Version : Nexus Smart Switch 200 amp service rated

DIYorBUST
August 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
1. Installed 20KW Generac generator and Nexus Smart Switch 200 amp according to instructions.
2. Connected all wires and cables. Checked all connections. Double checked and then for good measure checked again. Eveything according to instructions.
3. Moment of truth: Turned on utility power.
4. :mad: No power to the house.
5. Brought out the handy dandy voltmeter. 120V across utility lug N1 and neutral. Same across N2 and neutral. BUT no voltage across E1 and neutral or E2 and neutral.
6. :eek: State of panic sets in. Family had promised to stay at the mall while I work on this project and they are about to return.
7. :confused: Hmmmm!!! Rerouted power from utility back to distribution panel. :o Marital status in safe zone. Projct status in jeapordy.
8. Now that the transfer switch is isolated from the rest of the circuit checked continuity between N1 and E1. No continuity. DId the same across N2 and E2. No continuity.
9. Is the transfer switch bad???????? What did I miss??? Or screw up??? HELP!!!!!!!!

SkipD
August 21st, 2011, 02:38 PM
What model generator and transfer switch are you using? Be as complete as possible in getting the model numbers, as it makes a difference when looking up the associated paperwork.

douglas123
August 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Settle down and get out of state of panic. Sounds like you have connected the load side ie the house load to the emergency side of the transfer switch. If you can post some pics and please slow down and look closely at the install diagrams.

SkipD
August 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Settle down and get out of state of panic. Sounds like you have connected the load side ie the house load to the emergency side of the transfer switch. If you can post some pics and please slow down and look closely at the install diagrams.Yup.
N1/N2 is the utility input to the switch.
E1/E2 is the generator input to the switch.
T1/T2 is the output from the switch to the load panel.You should never have continuity between either of the N1/N2 terminals and either of the E1/E2 terminals under any condition.

DIYorBUST
August 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM
SkipD you are correct. There should never be continuity between N1/E1 or N2/E2. My bad. What I intended to type was that there is no continuity between N1/T1 and no continuity between N2/T2.

Gen Model #: 0058750
Nexus Smart Switch 200 amp service rated model: OH7265B

ceb58
August 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
SkipD you are correct. There should never be continuity between N1/E1 or N2/E2. My bad. What I intended to type was that there is no continuity between N1/T1 and no continuity between N2/T2.

Nexus Smart Switch 200 amp service rated model: OH7265B

What position is the switch in? Utility or gen.?

SkipD
August 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM

Nexus Smart Switch 200 amp service rated model: OH7265BI suspect, then, that the switch was in the "generator" position. The question now is "Why would the switch not have been in the utility power position?".

ohmslaw
August 21st, 2011, 09:26 PM
The switch should immediately transfer to utility position when energized if it is installed correctly.
Tim